Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bogdan





This is somewhat off the beaten track. Bogdan is located in the heart of Soviet era projects and not that easy to find, but it is definitely worth the effort.

First of all it doesn't break the bank since the most expensive dish on the menu is just 110 EEK's and most wines are less than 400. They do have their very own trophy wine listed, something that sounds really cool "Krõmvein Krasnõi Krõmskii 1958" for 1500EEK's. I have no idea what it is, but hey...that's cool.

Now the interior is nothing special, but it's nice and clean plus the the girls are quite friendly and polite. Yes it is a simple place, but simple can be good and the food here is good. Some of it downright excellent.

Now here's a warning - do not go to Bogdan if you're not a fan of garlic, I think everything on the menu has tons of in it. Then again the cuisine is Ukraine and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Last time I started with Potato Pancakes with Lox and it was delicious, followed with Borscht, and that was good. I remember being torn between the Bcorscht and Okroshka, I'll have that next time. Now even thought I was pretty stuffed I managed to extend my stomach for Stuffed Cabbage that was, how would I put it...ahh - made with Love.

All in all highly recommended, just try to remember - simple is beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This goes both about the garlic and the staff.
Last time I was there I ordered borsch. Didn't wan't anything big cause later in the evening I had a big dinner to attend. I got my soup and the moment I smelled it I realized that there is no way I can talk to about 300 people with that amount of garlic on my breath. What the hell, my bad. So I figured I'll just stick with my Staryi Melnik (an Ukrainian beer I highly recommend) and wait for the dinner. The waitress comes and asks about the soup, I tell her the story asking for another beer to drink while my friends finish their meals. 3 min later I get the beer, another 10 min later I get another borsch. Turns out they got me a new one without the garlic (no charge btw). And remember: I didn't even think about asking for it.
So do go to Bogdan, good food (with or without garlic), cheap, good service.
I have to disagree with Ron though. The borsch was great! And I still can remember the taste of borsch my grandmother used to make, nobody is that good, but in Bogdan they are realllly close.

Ron Simson said...

Good story and you're right, this type of quick response is not usual in Tallinn, I'm glad you ended up with a great meal and I did not mean to put down the Borscht. BTW if you have your Grandma's recipe, post it up.