Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chakra

Finally. There is a decent Indian restaurant in Tallinn. Chakra opened couple of weeks ago. I've been walking by it and so I went tonight. It is good, real good. You will be reminded of all the reasons why you love Indian food, it's fresh, fragrant and you'll get all the spices. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a plate of young boiled potatoes with fresh dill, that is so popular at this time of the year, but my heart lies with spices... and parties with spices ... and dances with spices... and so on...

I got a battered and fried chicken appetizer that came with three different dipping sauces. Mild one based on yogurt, dark chutney - possibly black plum, but I could be wrong and a real nice green spicy something, that made my tongue curl up with joy. Followed with a lamb curry that was nice and spicy, but managed not be one-dimensionally hot, instead there was deepness to the whole tasting experience. You know, it starts off by hitting the tip of your tongue, then carries over to the sides and finally just flattens the whole dorsum with a little party of your own.

Now, I also had a naan, possibly my favorite bread. Unfortunately, that was a disappointment. No biggy though, bottomless pit that I am, I managed to stuff myself until I was noxious. Portions are generous. So go now, you never know how the economic downward spiral will effect this one. Building is nice, place pleasant, waiting staff friendly and smiling, if not little rough around the edges, but they have been open for a short time. No web presence yet - so here's the address: Bremeni käik 1

14 comments:

liza said...

You can save up to 40 to 60% discounts on your every Dining by using Restaurant coupons at www.clickmycoupon.com

Pille said...

Aitäh teavitamast!

tanel said...

Went there today. Great place, best food, nice owner :)

Heartily recommended

Ron Simson said...

thanks for your input guys, it is a nice place

oliver said...

hope this place is still open. want to visit it soon...

oliver said...

oh, it has a web-site :)
http://www.chakra.ee/index.html

Ron Simson said...

it's still there

Unknown said...

Sorry to say, but the food was such a huge disappointment! I normally LOVE indian food and had big expectations.
I ate the starter, but that was only because I was hungry, it wasnt tasty at all and when I finally had my food.. :-( terrible. This was the first time in my whole life that I didn´t eat up my Indian food! I just tasted it and left it all, even the nan. never go there again.

Ron Simson said...

Sorry about your ruined night and I somewhat agree with you, something has happened, the last two times I was there I was disappointed too, maybe it's a new guy in the kitchen, tread carefully

Unknown said...

Hey!

And i love new restaurant MASALA, was couple months ago opened near Radisson hotel. Nice cozy place with very friendly service and tasty asian dishes, yammi! (I love tandoori dishes the most.) Have u
been there? Didnt find any information about it in Your post... You have very nice blogy!

Kristopher said...

But what's wrong with Elevant. We loved it -- tasteful interior, spices cooked whole with the food. VS is not bad either.

Kris Haamer said...

Ron, Your blog is a great find- thanks. Going to Chakra now.

Btw check out Gowalla for new places & recs: http://gowalla.com/

Carl-Johan Sveningsson said...

Absolutely agree with you that Chakra is a nice place. By the way, you seem to still be in Tallinn, can we tempt you to meet with some other cool international people on Wednesday? There are a few food connoisseurs there too: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103074266396805

darkfader said...

The food was OK (chicken soup was actually good), but I'll be back there for a limitless number of times, considering how beautiful the waitress was...