Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ribe

Ribe. I find it hard to say much about this place and I consider myself somewhat opinionated.
It's just that it seems like everybody involved worked really hard not to offend anybody. What happens when you try to make something that pleases everybody? You end up with something that most people don't dislike, but nobody loves.

Let's start with the good. I liked the wine list, not too long or too pretentious and they didn't multiply the whole-sale price by 10. Ended up with a glass of white from Luxembourg - a first for me. Served way too warm, but liked it anyway. Since I ordered fish, I decided to follow up with a bottle of Pouilly-Fuissé. You can't really go wrong with this often delicate Burgundy white.

Also liked a industrial looking chandelier made of stainless serving spoons and forks with a single light bulb.That pretty much wraps up the good.

The rest of the interior design is best described as forgettable. Mostly minimalistic crap with elements of so-called modern chic. OK...

I had Escargots de Bourgogne for a starter and did not like it. Too salty and too garlicky. Didn't think the second one was possible for me, but hey. For a main dish had Steamed pangasius fillet with blini, trout roe and leek-fennel sauce. Waitress, who mind I add was very friendly and patient, explained to me that it's a freshwater fish that inhabits rivers of Vietnam. Alrighty, something new, except that it didn't taste like anything and oh yeah - the blini were soggy in that leek-fennel sauce. Blini and soggy, that's like bread and soggy, it makes no difference what they got soggy in.

So if you like your dining out kinda middle of the road, no surprises, good or bad - go ahead. You are not going to hate it. You probably not going to love it either. It's just not one of these tell your friends all about it experiences.

No comments: